Hi folks! This June Round Up is coming to your computer screen a little late (though I may be starting a trend here…) because a lot of summer traveling has been occupying my attention. In the past few weeks, my high school best friend, my boo, and one of my college best friends all came to stay with me on separate occasions. As I’m writing this, I’ve just returned from a July 4th trip to Washington, D.C., to visit another one of my college best friends and it’s the first time I’ve been in front of a computer in days. In fact, I originally hand wrote this blog note on the train from D. C. because I was taking a break from “screen time” all weekend.
My traveling isn’t going to stop anytime soon because this coming weekend, I’m heading up to Hudson, NY for Random House’s Off the Page event. I won two tickets to the event through an Instagram contest and am very excited about the event and visiting upstate New York! Hudson is allegedly adorable and very picturesque so I’ll be spending an extra day exploring the quaint town. You can expect a post all about the event sometime in the next week… as long as I manage to post it before I depart to Chicago for Pitchfork Music Festival… I’m a busy bee who can’t be in one place for long it seems!
In the meantime, check out the following book reviews published in June and let me know what you think:
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
- Forgotten Country by Catherine Chung
- Fresh Off the Boat: A Memoir by Eddie Huang
- Stardust by Neil Gaiman
- Undocumented: A Dominican Boy’s Odyssey from a Homeless Shelter to the Ivy League by Dan-El Padilla Peralta
- Where’d You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple
My June Book Haul includes:
- Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape by Jenna Miscavige Hill with Lisa Pulitzer
- Bright Lines by Tanwi Nandini Islam (ARC from Penguin’s First to Read program)
- The Circle by Dave Eggers
- Euphoria by Lily King
- Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel
- The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
- The Martian by Andy Weir
- Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews
- Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari
I also finished a few of the books above in June that I haven’t been able to blog about yet due to the abundance of traveling and friend fun that I’ve been indulging in. You can expect reviews of finished June reads Beyond Belief, The Circle, and The Interestings coming to the blog soon!
As summer continues to progress, I’ll strive to stay on top of my book reviews, but it’s so difficult when I’m also trying to enjoy the outdoors and spend less time hunched over my many digital screens! As soon as the boringness and limited sunlight of fall settles in, I’m sure I’ll return to being on my book review A-game.
I hope you’re also enjoying your summer as much as I am! Adventure on!